As Christians, we should not be silent

I haven't posted in so long I'd forgotten how to even get to this website, but here I am.

I have been thinking and praying for days about if I should even say anything about this, or what I would say, but as the church stays silent I need to raise my voice.
Many believe that as Christians, we should stand back and support our government because God had a role as to who is in power, but the Bible also clearly states that we should not only stand up, but be there first to stand up when we see injustice.

When God is speaking to Isaiah regarding the acts of Jerusalem and Judah, he says:

"Learn to do good;
seek justice,
correct oppression;
bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause"
-Isaiah 1:17

Yes, we are supposed to be subject to the people God has placed in government, but more importantly than that, we are called to correct oppression and seek justice. 

Again in Proverbs 31:

"Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute.
Open you mouth, judge righteously, defend there rights of the poor and needy."
-Proverbs 31:8-9

God has NOT called us to complacency, no! Instead he has called us to be stewards of his kingdom on this earth, and as stewards we should be the first to stand up against oppression and injustice. 

We are not here to sit and pray, yes to pray, but not to sit. He has called us to action! 

Many will tell me that I shouldn't protest, that I shouldn't go against our government, but I too have dual citizenship: to this world and to the kingdom of God. I pay allegiance to a kingdom that would not support this, a kingdom that would embrace and welcome my brothers and sisters across the world.

I say brothers and sisters because I truly have Muslim brothers and sisters across the world. This blog was originally used to document my time as a youth ambassador for the United States in Morocco.
I lived with a Muslim host family that truly became that: family.
They took me in and fed me. They loved me and didn't flinch at my Christian faith, but instead encouraged it. They took in a stranger, an enemy by the worlds standards, and treated me like their own daughter.

Yet here we are on the other side. Although Morocco is not one of the countries listed on the ban, the message is the same. They welcomed me with open arms and we are shutting them out.

This wall building is not productive. It's not even ethical.

Have we learned nothing from Berlin? Do we believe that the teachings regarding Jew/Gentile relations do not pertain to us?

Out of fear, we are condemning people to death. Yes, for many refugees, this is a life and death situation.

My parents sent me an email this morning that a Methodist church wrote on the subject, and this stood out to me:

"Rejecting the stranger, the immigrant, the refugee out of fear is to reject both the teachings of Christ and the person of Christ. When asked which neighbors we are to love, Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37), a story that teaches generosity and personal risk for the sake of the suffering-the suffering of a culturally and religiously despised 'other.' And Jesus also said: 'For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me. I say to you, what you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' (Matthew 25:42-45) As Pope Francis says, 'It's hypocrisy to call yourself a Christian and chase away a refugee or someone seeking help, someone who is hungry or thirsty, toss out someone who is in need of my help . . . . If I say I am Christian, but do these things, I'm a hypocrite.' "

As human beings, this injustice should make us queasy, uncomfortable, but as Christians we should be torn apart. As Christians we should be horrified. As Christians we should be first to respond, so why are we silent?

It is time for us to stand up, to speak for those who cannot, to pursue truth and not the alternative. It is time for us to take action. 


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

What might action look like...?


  • Protests and rallies - get your voice heard. No, this is not unchristian
  • Donate
  • Volunteer
  • Get your church involved!!! Encourage other Christians to take a stand!
  • Pray! 
    • I know I said that praying is not all, but it is still essential. Pray about what action  you can take






Comments

  1. Hey Charis,
    Im Rachel Stinson. Mallory said you and I should connect and be friends! lol! She said this because I have been getting push back from my Christian peers for my protesting. I love hearing from a Christian perspective so well supported by the Bible and laid out. Psalms 31:8-9 are my favorite verses. My mom had them on our fridge growing up- she has her priorities straight. Thanks for your advocacy. I have been discouraged by my peer's disinterest and even condemnation, but your voice helps me. I support your decision! Let's be Christian advocates of love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel!! Ugh I love Mal, and I'm so glad she told us to connect because I definitely feel what you're going through. I've been getting some push back from peers as well, and honestly was really surprised! I'm here for ya girl and I'm so happy I got to encourage you! Keep at it love!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts