Beginnings of a Journey


"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home."~Matsuo Basho
Since hearing about the scholarship, life has been a whirlwind of texts, calls, tweets, Facebook notifications, ok let me explain, I sound like a social network crazed teenage girl.  Telling everyone has been crazy! There are way more people interested in my life than I thought! Aside from notifying everyone, I've been researching everything! From the looks of it, I will be living in Rabat, the capital of Morocco, and attending a private French school where all my classes will be... in French!!
I will also be learning Moroccan Arabic in some extra classes outside of my high school.

Morocco is an amazing country embodying four main cultures: Berber, European, Arab, and African. The national languages are Moroccan Arabic and Berber, although most people speak French as well. It borders the North Atlantic Ocean, the strait of Gibraltar, Mauritania, and Algeria, and has everything from beaches to mountains to desert. Rabat is both a more modern city with a shiny new tram, and an old city, full of gorgeous buildings that display of years and years of rich history. I can't wait to explore it!

I am absolutely terrified, but also excited beyond comprehension to begin this new part of my life! I know next year will be the hardest year of my life, but I also know how it will benefit me in ways that I can't even imagine right now. Learning math and science in French will be incredibly hard, but with determination and prayer, I know I can do it.

Please pray for me and support me through this journey. Feel free to ask me any questions. If you want to know more about the program, check out my "YES Abroad" page on this blog.




New Tram in Rabat
Moroccan Flag



Map of Morocco

Comments

Popular Posts